Moving through my life one repetition at a time.

Friday, May 1, 2015

The peach revealing some personality at 13 weeks!

I went in for a routine appointment to get screened for genetic disorders. My husband and I decided we would rather know ahead of time whether our child had the risk for a genetic disorder prior to birth so we could be prepared. So we elected to get the screening done. We were told all it would be was an ultrasound. I sat down with the ultrasound tech and got the warm gel applied to my tummy to start the screening. Well low and behold our baby was currently hanging on its tummy vs. its back where it needed to be for the measurements to be taken. The tech tried to jiggle the area to get the baby to flip. Well this morning the baby decided to be a little difficult and not move. It must have been comfy and personally I don’t blame it. I love lying on my stomach although that is not an option currently.

She said they give the baby three tried to flip around. She told me to wait 10 minute in the waiting room and we’d try again. I figured maybe if I’d empty my bladder the baby might have some room to move around so I went to the bathroom in hopes that might help. The second round proved that the baby was able to move around better now but was still lying on its side vs. back. Once again no luck in moving the baby.

After this try, I decided to walk around outside the office in hopes that might help. I also did a little jumping around praying anything would help. During the third ultrasound the baby had indeed moved onto its back but it was more upright than lying down and this still was not the right position. I guess after the second fail the tech had spoken to someone else in the office about the options for me. As I was already 13 weeks and 4 days and the test was only able to be done until 13 weeks and 6 days so rescheduling the appointment wasn’t an option. Since I had not started at this office until the week prior I really missed the key window of opportunity.  She mentioned that there was a new test available that just collected the mother’s blood and was able to pull the babies blood from the maternal blood and examine the chromosomes. The only caveat was that this test was not yet implemented as an option in this office. They had not talked to all the doctors about the test yet.  


Luckily, the staff was willing to talk to the head doctor about my situation as they had planned to start offering the test in the next week or so anyhow. They were able to fit me in to be counselled about the test my one of the OB doctors and also were able to secure the right paperwork and testing equipment for me to get the test completed today. So shortly after filing out some paperwork I spoke to the doctor confirmed that the test was just blood and would have a minimal cost. It would test for all genetic disorders and also happened to be a little more accurate. Oh and it also would tell us the gender of the baby if we elected to find out. The nurse came in after speaking to the doctor and drew my blood and I was on my merry way about 90 minutes after I first arrived at the office. Since was obviously not how I had intended to spend my morning but I was glad a solution as found and everything worked out. We already have realized this child is going to give us a run for our money and is already taking some of our personalities that we express at times! And who knows we might be finding out the gender sooner than expected but that will be a secret that we will not be telling anytime soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment